University Duisburg-Essen successfully blends
high-performance 3D graphics with virtual desktops
University Duisburg-Essen is one of the largest and newest universities in Germany and brings a fresh perspective to higher education. Eleven faculty departments emphasize research and teaching, embrace diversity, promote academic potential and equality, and think in terms of unlimited possibilities instead of limitations.
"When IT added the Hardware Accelerator card and GPU to the server, the user experience was amazing. We now have true anywhere access to all of our department applications, and are no longer limited by data center walls or campus boundaries."
Managing director, Faculty of Biology
- Poor performance for graphics-intensive and 3D applications on VMware Horizon View virtual desktops
- Budget restrictions, and the need to protect investments in VDI servers
- Increasing infrastructure complexity, driving up the cost of managing devices and desktops
- Teradici PCoIP Hardware Accelerator and NVIDIA GRID GPU in each VMware Horizon View VDI server
- User acceptance of VDI: Excellent performance, even for 3D graphics, imaging, and video
- Resource efficiency: Server compute resources are more available for other tasks; network bandwidth is conserved
- Cost savings: Easier-to-manage PCoIP zero clients growing in popularity across campus